The thinkorswim time and sales feature in your trading platform give you information on every trade executed. When day trading, you must have a firm understanding of time and sales. This feature in your trading platform (like the thinkorswim time and sales data) can provide you with helpful information to succeed. This article will discuss what time and sales are and how you can use them to improve your trading results.
Time and sales is a feature in your trading platform that gives you information on every trade executed. This includes the time of the trade occurred, the price, and the quantity. This information can be handy for day traders looking to get an edge. With time and sales, you can see what other traders are doing in real-time and make informed decisions about your trades.
Reasons to Use Time and Sales Data
There are a few reasons to use time and sales data when trading. First, time and sales can help you see the order flow. This is the number of buy and sell orders that are coming in for a particular stock. This is called positive order flow if there are more buy orders than sell orders. Positive order flow typically indicates that the stock price will go up.
On the other hand, if you see more sell orders than buy orders, this is called negative order flow. Negative order flow typically indicates that the stock price will go down.
Second, time and sales can help you see the momentum of a particular stock. This is called momentum if a stock moves quickly with a lot of volume. Momentum can be a good indicator of whether a stock will continue moving in the same direction.
Third, time and sales data can help you see the level II quotes for a particular stock. Level II quotes show all the different bids and ask prices for a stock available at any time. This information can help make trading decisions.
Trading With Time and Sales
You can use thinkorswim time and sales to help with day trading in a few different ways.
1. Spot Trends: First, you can use it to spot trends. Seeing a lot of activity at a certain price level may indicate some buying or selling pressure. You can think to check your time and sales details to confirm trading activity and to help support your directional bias on the direction the market may move.
2. Confirm Support and Resistance: You can also use time and sales to check for support and resistance levels. If you notice a lot of activity at a specific price, it may indicate that traders are watching the particular price level.
3. Momentum: In addition, time and sales can also be used to help you gauge market momentum. If the market is moving quickly, you will see a lot of activity in time and sales. This can indicate that the market is ready to move, and you may want to consider taking a trade. Conversely, if time and sales are slow, it may indicate that the market is consolidating, and you may want to wait for a better opportunity.
As you can see, time and sales are valuable tools traders should be aware of. Understanding how to use this information can give you an edge in the market.
Pairing time and sales with other technical data and indicators can help traders better understand what is happening in the market. For example, if time and sales show a lot of activity at a certain price level, you can check an order book to see if any large orders are sitting at that level. If there are, it may indicate that the market is about to move.
Time and sales can also help you time your entries and exits to get in and out of the market. Understanding how the market is moving ensures you are getting in when the market begins to move and to get out before the market reverses in the other direction.
Time and Sales Consideration Points
Here are some things to remember when using thinkorswim time and sales data. First, time and sales data are only for trades that have already happened (i.e. historical data). It cannot be used to predict where the market will move in the future.
Second, time and sales data can be misleading if not filtered properly. For example, if time and sales data is only shown for large trade executions, it may give the impression that the market is more bullish than it actually is. So, this data needs to be used in conjunction with other confluences to confirm the potential market direction.
While time and sales provide valuable information, it is essential to remember that it is just one piece of the puzzle. You should not make trading decisions based on time and sales alone, as it can present special risks. Instead, use it as a way to get a better understanding of what is happening in the market and make informed decisions. With time and sales, you can give yourself an edge in the market and improve your trading results.
thinkorswim Time and Sales Setup
Provided are instructions on steps to set up time and sales data on your thinkorswim platform. You only need to ensure that you have account access and system availability.
1. Open platform. Navigate from the ‘Trade’ tab to the ‘Chart’ Tab.
2. On the ‘Charts’ or ‘Flexible Grid’ sub-tab, look on the far right to find ‘T&S’ on the vertical ribbon.
3. Select T&S. A separate window allows you to view time and sales for the associated stock ticker charted. Feel free to check within the platform for other supporting documentation to learn more about time and sales.
Summary: thinkorswim Time and Sales
Time and sales data is available in many trading platforms that day traders use to help them be successful. This feature in your trading platform provides a chronological list of all transactions that have taken place on a financial asset. It can help time your trades and make more informed decisions and not to incur substantial losses. Time and sales data should be used with other indicators or patterns to support a directional bias.
Maurice Kenny has helped over 600 people become financially free through one-on-one coaching, mentorship, and options trading strategy. Many of these new traders are now full-time traders, and they all started by watching his 1-hr webinar.
Feel free to check out other FREE educational resources to help guide you as you begin your new journey to financial freedom.
Also, download a (FREE E-BOOK) by Maurice Kenny, “DAY TRADE LIKE A MILLIONAIRE.”