Trading in a sideways market (aka consolidating or range bound market) can be frustrating for traders. Prices move within a trading range but fail to progress in either direction. This can make it challenging to make money trading stocks or other financial instruments. However, it is still possible to make money in a sideways market if you are patient and follow these tips for day trading in a sideways market.
A sideways market is one where the prices of assets trading in that market move within a relatively tight range. This price action can happen in any market but is most common in financial markets like the stock market.
A trending market is different. In a trending market (bullish or bear market), prices tend to move in one direction for an extended period. This can make trading easier since you can ride the trend until it reverses. Of course, no market is ever truly stagnant or moving in one direction. But if you’re having trouble finding trades that fit your trading strategy, it’s worth considering whether the markets you’re trading are currently in a sideways or trending phase. Knowing this can help you adjust your trading strategy accordingly.
Identify a Sideways Market Conditions
When trading in the stock market, there are a few ways to identify if the market is sideways.
- One way to tell if the market is sideways is by looking at the trading range. If the trading range is tight, then it’s likely that the market is sideways.
- Another way to determine if the market is sideways is by looking at moving averages. If the short-term moving averages are close to the long-term moving averages, then it’s likely that the market is sideways.
- Volume can also be an indicator of a sideways market. When volume decreases, it could indicate that traders are hesitant and unwilling to make trades. This lack of activity can lead to a sideways market.
- Lastly, looking at technical indicators like Bollinger Bands or the Relative Strength Index (RSI) is another way to tell if the market is sideways. If the Bollinger Bands are close together, the market is trading in a tight range and is likely sideways.
Sideways Market Strategies
In a sideways market, trading can be tricky. Here are common strategies to consider when trading in this type of market:
-Breakouts: In a sideways market, prices tend to fluctuate between support and resistance levels. By waiting for a breakout, traders can enter the market when prices start to move in a particular direction.
-Support and Resistance Areas: This involves buying assets when prices reach support levels and selling them when prices hit resistance levels.
-Trend reversals: Small trends may develop within the broad range in a sideways market. These trends can provide opportunities to enter the market in the opposite direction.
-Use technical indicators: In a sideways market, technical indicators can help identify trading opportunities. Some popular indicators include moving averages and Bollinger Bands.
-Wait for news events. In a sideways market, news events can cause prices to break out of the range. By waiting for these events, traders can enter the market when there is more potential for price movement.
-Avoid sideways trading: More money can be made during a trending market vs. a consolidating market. To avoid the complexities of this market and losing money, decide to wait until it begins to trend again.
Sideways Market Tips
However, if you decide to trade a sideways market, here are some tips to ensure success:
- Focus on trading stocks with a history of trading in a sideways pattern. These stocks are more likely to continue trading in this manner, so you will have a better chance of success.
- Don’t try to pick tops and bottoms. It is tough to predict when prices will reverse direction, so it is best just to wait for the market to tell you.
- Don’t expect prices to move in a straight line. Sideways markets can be choppy, so don’t get discouraged if your trades don’t always go as planned.
- Look for trading opportunities near support and resistance levels. Support and resistance levels can be helpful in identifying potential entry and exit points. In a sideways market, prices will often bounce off these levels multiple times before finally breaking out.
- Use technical analysis tools to help you find trading opportunities. There are many technical tools that can be used to identify overbought and oversold levels on the price chart to help find entries and exits.
- Don’t get married to your positions. If a stock isn’t performing well, don’t hesitate to sell it and move on. There are always other opportunities out there.
- Don’t be afraid to take profits when they are available. Many traders hold onto losing positions hoping that prices will eventually turn around. However, this is often a mistake. It is better to take your profits when you can and move on.
- Focus on trading one financial instrument at a time. Trying to trade too many instruments at once can lead to confusion and losses.
- Create and test your plan! Know what you try to achieve with each trade and stick to it. This will help you stay disciplined and avoid making impulsive decisions. Backtest your strategy during previous sideways markets to see what you may need to tweak.
- Watch your emotions. Fear and greed can lead to bad decision-making. Trading should be done with a cool head and a clear mind. If you feel overwhelmed by sideways action, you may just stick to trend trading.
- Remember to apply proper risk management. Always use stop-losses to protect your capital.
- Remember that patience is key in trading sideways markets. It can be challenging to make money when prices are moving around aimlessly, but if you are patient and wait for a good setup to form, you can be profitable.
Summary: Trading in a Sideways Market
A sideways market can be a trader’s worst nightmare or an opportunity to make some money. It all depends on how you approach trading in this type of market. When trading in a sideways market, it’s important to be patient and wait for the right opportunity to buy or sell. If you’re not careful, it’s easy to lose money by making rash decisions. Trading sideways markets don’t have to be complicated – just follow these simple tips, and you will be on your way to making money.
Our VIP Trading system allows our traders to make money irrespective of if the market is sideways or trending.
Maurice Kenny has helped over 600 people become financially free through one-on-one coaching, mentorship, and options trading strategy. Many of these new traders are now full-time traders, and they all started by watching his 1-hr webinar.
Feel free to check out other FREE educational resources to help guide you as you begin your new journey to financial freedom.
Also, download a (FREE E-BOOK) by Maurice Kenny, “DAY TRADE LIKE A MILLIONAIRE.”