A dead cat bounce is a term that has been used in financial markets for several decades. It gets its name from the notion that even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height. It often indicates that a stock has fallen so fast that it is due for at least a slight rebound, even if the overall trend remains downward.
Furthermore, it is always harder to make money when the stock market is up and down like a roller coaster. However, this is also when some of the best trading opportunities present themselves. One such option is when you see a dead cat bounce develop in the stock market. This article will discuss what a dead cat bounce is and how to trade when volatility is high.
A dead cat bounce is a technical analysis term used to describe a temporary rebound in the price of a stock after it has experienced a significant drop. This rebound is typically short-lived and does not signal a change in the underlying trend. Many times, dead cat bounces occur after a period of extreme volatility, which can make them difficult to trade. A dead cat bounce can occur due to short sellers covering their positions or investors who believe a sell-off was overdone and buying back in.
Identifying a Dead Cat Bounce Pattern
Dead cat bounces can present trading opportunities for those who know how to identify them. So, how can you identify these bounces?
The first step is to look for a stock in a sharp decline over the past few days or few weeks. This is usually easy to spot on a chart. Once you have found a potential dead cat bounce candidate, the next step is to wait for signs of a bottom. This can be tricky to determine, as there is no sure-fire way to know when a stock has reached its bottom.
However, there are a few suggestions on what you can look for that may indicate that a dead cat bounce is about to occur.
Look for capitulation. This is when investors holding on to the stock in hopes of a rebound, finally give up and sell. This can often be seen as a spike in volume on a candlestick chart.
Look for market reversal. Second, look for a bullish reversal candlestick pattern. This is when the stock price gaps down and then rallies to close near or above the open. The gap down followed by a rally indicates buyers are stepping in, and the dead cat bounce is about to begin.
Wait for confirmation. Once you have spotted capitulation or a bullish reversal candlestick pattern, the next step is to wait for confirmation. This comes from the stock price breaking above a recent high or resistance level. This is your signal to enter a long position. Place a stop loss below the recent low to protect yourself in case the dead cat bounce fails, and the stock continues lower.
10 Tips: Trading Dead Cat Bounce
Here are ten tips for trading dead cat bounces in the stock market:
1. Pay attention to the overall trend. A dead cat bounce is typically seen as a short-term phenomenon within a more significant downtrend. Knowing the primary trend before considering a trade would help out in the long run.
2. Look for a sharp decline followed by a period of consolidation. This is the crucial characteristic of a dead cat bounce. The stronger the fall, the more likely buyers will step in and push prices higher.
3. Be aware of resistance levels. Once prices start to rebound, they will often encounter resistance at previous levels of support. This can act as a ceiling for prices and cause the dead cat bounce to fail.
4. Consider trading with the trend. If you are looking to trade a dead cat bounce, it is often best to do so in the direction of the primary trend. This means selling rebounds in a downtrend or buying into pullbacks in an uptrend.
5. Use stop-loss orders. As with any trading program, it is vital to protect your capital using stop-loss orders. Following this approach will help you limit your losses if the dead cat bounce fails.
6. Take profits when they are available. A dead cat bounce can offer quick and profitable trades. But, the downward trend will eventually resume. As such, it is important to take profits when available and exit your position before prices start to decline again.
7. Be patient. Not every dead cat bounce will offer a trading opportunity. As such, it is essential to be patient and wait for the best setup.
8. Keep your emotions in check. Getting caught up in the overall excitement of a dead cat bounce can be easy. However, keeping your emotions in check and sticking to your trading plan is essential.
9. Monitor the news media. Dead cat bounces often occur after a period of negative news. It is important to monitor the information and look for events that could trigger a sharp decline.
10. Be prepared to take quick losses. Due to the nature of dead cat bounces, they can often be short-lived and unpredictable. Being ready to take immediate losses is crucial if the trade does not go in your favor.
By following these tips, you can trade dead cat bounces in the stock market with tremendous success. However, please remember that these price patterns can be risky and should only be traded with caution.
Summary: Dead Cat Bounce
The stock market is a complex place. Prices can move up and down for a variety of reasons. When volatility is high, it cannot be easy to trade profitably. One type of trading strategy that can be profitable in these conditions is known as dead cat bounce trading. A dead cat bounce is a technical analysis price pattern in the stock market. It is typically characterized by a sharp decline followed by a brief period of consolidation or rebound before resuming its downward trend. Many day traders look to trade dead cat bounces because they offer the potential for quick and profitable trades.
Due to the riskiness of these types of trades, we tend not to trade dead cat bounces. However, we offer a simple approach to day trading that allows a consistent approach to trading. Would you consider learning more about our trading program?
Maurice Kenny has helped over 600 people become financially free through one-on-one coaching, mentorship, and options trading strategy. Many of these new traders are now full-time traders, and they all started by watching his 1-hr webinar.
Feel free to check out other FREE educational resources to help guide you as you begin your new journey to financial freedom.
Also, download a (FREE E-BOOK) by Maurice Kenny, “DAY TRADE LIKE A MILLIONAIRE.”
Leave a Reply